Wednesday, December 16, 2009

PCHR weekly report 10-15/12/2009: 1 Palestinian civilian killed, 2 boys detained and beaten


Thursday, 10 December 2009

At approximately 11:30, Israeli forces moved into al-Sikka Street in the north of Beit Hanoun town in the northern Gaza Strip.  They arrested Mohammed Hatem al-Kafarna, 16, and Mahmoud Jameel al-Yazji, 16, when they were collecting stones and iron from destroyed buildings, nearly 500 meters away from the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel.  Israeli forces violently beat and interrogated the two children, then released them at approximately 21:30 on the same day.

Saturday, 12 December 2009

At approximately 06:20, Israeli troops positioned at the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel to the east of al-Boreij refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip opened fire at Palestinian houses located almost 700 meters away from the border.  As a result, Sami Shihda Abu Khousa, 48, was seriously wounded by several gunshots to the thighs.  He was evacuated to the hospital, but medical efforts to save his life failed and he was pronounced dead two hours later. 

In his testimony to PCHR, Maher Hassan Abu Khousa, 36, a victim's cousin, stated:

"At approximately 06:20 on Saturday, 12 December 2009, I was at home, nearly 700 meters away from the border with Israel, east of al-Boreij refugee camp.  Suddenly, I heard explosions.  Soon after, IOF troops opened fire at our houses.  I learnt that resistance activists fired some projectiles at the border, and IOF troops repeated fire.  I stepped up on the stairs to see what was going one.  I then heard someone screaming: 'Save me Maher.'  I looked towards the direction of the voice and saw my cousin Sami Shihda 'Abdullah Abu Khousa, 48, on the ground under an awning between my house and his. I realized that he was wounded.  I rushed down and informed my brothers.  I turned on my car and my cousin's son carried his father who was bleeding from the thighs.  We put him into the car and traveled towards al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah, but as he was in a serious condition, he was transferred to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.  Two hours later, we were informed the he died of his wound."